Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day Hike







By this point in our trip to Durango, I knew that we’d have very active days with the Kassings. I really admired how they embraced the outdoors and enjoyed everything Durango had to offer.

On Sunday, Mr. Kassing had mapped out a Father’s Day hike, and we set out from the house at 7 am after a hearty cereal and yogurt breakfast. I was warned that the trail culminated with a few hundred yards that were described as “quite steep.” After the previous two days and seeing the ridge from ground level, I knew that “quite steep” probably meant the steepest thing that I ever tried to walk-up.

Upon getting to trail going to the summit, I was right. At the very least our calves would be burning as we made our way up the steep, gravel/sand ascent to the apex of the mountain. But when I actually took a close look at the trail, it was very clear that we would need to climb on all fours at some point, which in my mind made this not a morning hike but a morning mountain climb.

Going up wasn’t too bad. For the most part, we had rocks and tree limbs to hang onto, and the slipping on the gravel was held to a minimum. (Yes, slipping was the best word for me to use).

Going down was quite a different story. Amazingly, Mr. Kassing went first and basically walked gracefully from the summit to the next landing. My fears were somewhat relieved as I thought to myself, “it can’t be that hard.”

Then Lauren went. She took a different approach with different results than Mr. Kassing. She went down feet first, butt down, terrified when looking down as her grip and stance became unsteady. She unleashed a flurry of curse words during the first few yards and the most difficult parts.

My fear was back. I’ve never been good at things like this climb. My athletic ability was best viewed on a basketball court, football field, or in a sporting contest. If a person were to see me on hiking trails, mountain climbs, river rapids, or deep ocean seas, they’d probably have never guess that I can go full-speed through traffic for a coast-to-coast lay-up, dunk a basketball, or jump over defenders in the end zone for a touchdown catch. And rightfully so.

On a mountain ridge, I’m tentative, awkward, nervous, stiff, and look like I might fall (as Laura knows because she was so nervous she couldn’t even watch my descent). This is yet another activity that is not meant for someone 6’5”, 230 lbs. I thought this as with just about each step, I displaced even more gravel that was sent tumbling down the mountainside, seemingly never stopping.

My approach to my fears was complete silence. I focused on each and every step, and eventually made it down with the help of Mr. Kassing putting his hiking stick in the ground for a few footholds that otherwise wouldn’t have been there.






2 comments:

  1. Seriously? Has it occured to either of you that there are places on this earth we are not intended to climb up to? This post is getting more nerve wracking day by day! I am just imagining you two with matching body casts on your wedding day! Oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ""they’d probably have never guess that I can go full-speed through traffic for a coast-to-coast lay-up, dunk a basketball, or jump over defenders in the end zone for a touchdown catch.""

    This made me laugh so hard.

    ReplyDelete