Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bright Angel Trail, 6 miles

Making sandwiches the night before :)

Grand Canyon hike (day 1) – by Laura

I was so excited to finally be able to hike in the Grand Canyon. We chose to start with the Bright Angel trail, a six-mile round trip with a 2,000 foot decline. After packing up lots of food and water, we got to the trailhead at 5 am.

As we cruised down the trail, we saw a beautiful sunrise, a bighorn sheep (which I was excited to see and extend our list of wildlife sightings), and expansive views that got better and better as we descended into the canyon.

The hike up was one of the hardest I’ve ever done but well worth it. I can’t wait until the next time that I go to the Grand Canyon and hike from rim to rim. We met many people along the trial that were on the last leg of that hike, and it seemed like an awesome experience.








Big horn sheep having a morning snack.






Outfit adjustments to adapt to the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment